How to Write a Good Meta Description in WordPress
There are many ways to improve website traffic. Educating yourself on the basics of online marketing and investing in top-notch social media plugins are both great ways to improve your website’s credibility.
There’s also the meta description. A solid meta description is crucial when it comes to getting traffic to your written piece.
Why? It is the first thing people see when they are searching on Google! When presented with a list of search results from Google they quickly scan the list and spot the most impressive results.
Although most often the first place gets the most clicks, sometimes a well-written meta description can bring you more clicks than you would normally get from a 3rd or 4th place.
Keep in mind, unless you are not logged in to your Google account (and these days, most people are) searchers will get personalized results and your page will have different positions.
Google monitors which results from you click and what position they were in when you clicked them. If you are ranking below the first position, Google will notice if you are getting more than your expected % clicks.
However, many bloggers and website owners don’t focus enough on perfecting their blog’s meta descriptions.
Luckily, we put together a guide to understanding what a meta description is and how to write a meta description in WordPress.
Check out this awesome guide!
What Is A Meta Description?
A meta description is a mini story that summarizes the content of an article or blog. It is capped at around 160 characters or less and is a tag in the HTML of the post.
Search engines will display the meta description for a piece if a keyword of phrase that is commonly searched is included in the meta description.
Because of this, the meta description is incredibly important when it comes to Search Engine Optimization. Other than the title of an article, the meta description will be what drives traffic to the article.
How To Improve A Meta Description In WordPress
If you’re good at writing content, we promise you’ll be good at writing a meta description in WordPress.
Since the meta description in WordPress is within an HTML tag, you can edit it as such:
<meta name=”description” content=”This is where your 160 character meta description goes.”>
There are also plugins for WordPress that can handle the HTML portion of this for you.
The biggest part of creating a robust meta description is to work on the writing portion. Here are a few tips:
- Keep the meta description over 130 characters but still under 160. There’s no exact science to this, but having too short or too long of a meta description can be messy.
- Use your CTA voice. The meta description needs to be inviting, demanding (but not aggressive), and encourage action. That action is to click the link and read more.
- Don’t try and cheat Google with mismatched content and meta descriptions. Google’s algorithms can wiggle out the meta descriptions that are less than honest. Your website might even be punished for it.
- Always remember the keyword and key phrase. This is an essential part of SEO, isn’t it?
- Keep it structured. If you’re selling a particular product on a particular page, you should use the meta description to describe the product or service and throw in some keywords. The price, product description, and brand are things you could include.
- Remember that meta description will often appear as a story when it is shared on other websites and social media, so be sure it’s exactly what you want your target audience to read.
How was our guide to writing a meta description in WordPress? Tell us what you think, along with your tips and tricks for writing a meta description in WordPress, in the comments section below!
Maintaining healthy relationships with customers and putting up a brand is vital to every business. If your firm does not have an online marketing strategy, then it has a big chance of not succeeding. What is online marketing? Online marketing is an approach that aids...
You've decided to revamp your company website. It's been long overdue, and your graphic designer has come up with some great concepts. But which one do you choose? How do you know which one will work best? It sounds like you need to run some A/B testing! Lucky for...
How do you promote a small business online these days? To promote your business, you should take certain steps for you not to miss any opportunities. The following are some ways on how you can maximize your internet usage to be able to advertise your small business,...