I administer quite a few WordPress sites around the internet, and recently I had to make changes to a site, where I had simply lost the password. I tried all the usual combinations, and the e-mail that was registered as the administrator e-mail, I no longer had access to.
So, when you are in this situation, and you cannot remember your password, there are three things you can do:
- Reset the password using WordPress’ built in system. This requires you have access to the e-mail you used to register your blog with.
- Using PHPMyAdmin (or something similar) to manually change the password directly in the MySQL database.
- Use the smart little tool created a long time ago, called WordPress Emergency PassWord Reset.
Please see the instructions here, directly from the post:
- Unpack the zip.
- Upload emergency.php to the root of your WordPress install (the same directory that contains wp-config.php)
- Open http://www.yourdomain.com/emergency.php in your favorite browser.
- Follow the simple instructions.
- When you are done, delete emergency.php off your server. Do not leave it up for someone else to come along and use.